Friday, August 25, 2006

"Sometimes there isn't anymore"


I have been very lazy about posting lately as it is my busy time of year at work, and frankly I am exhausted by the time I get home from work. But I feel compelled today...
My nephew had posted on his blog today & it was something that struck a cord with me. I will quote it partially, "...the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more. Sometimes what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... while we have it...it's best we love it... and care for it ...and fix it when it's broken... and heal it when it's sick. "
Powerful words, these can apply to anything, the world we live in,loved ones, people we have a hard time getting along with, a jar of mayonaise ( well, maybe not mayo ) !! Naturally I think of my Mother & Sister & my husband's good friend who we lost in 9/11.
It also brings to mind a trip we made to Lancaster, Pa shortly after 9/11. We had stopped by a Mennonite woman's house as she had a Quilts For Sale sign outside...there was no way I was going home without a traditional quilt. She was a friendly woman and I commented to her that her flower garden was gorgeous! She went on the explain to me that they believe that they do not *own* the land they live on, just *rent* it from God and it is their JOB to keep it beautiful and fruitful so as it will not be 'all used up ' but rather kept in pristine condition for the next *renters* to come along.
Well, I think that I am very tired now and not making very much sense...but I still think about that old Mennonite woman and her words, sometimes I can see her face & I wonder if she is still enjoying her flowers like I did that day. I also wonder if she even knows how important those words she said were to me , part of me hopes she did!
Yup, Brian, somethings we keep because they are worth it 'cuz maybe someday there just isn't anymore !

No comments: